[lbo-talk] "Governments should exist to protect people, not institutions." Conservative John Major

Marv Gandall marvgand2 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 24 09:54:04 PDT 2013

On 2013-10-23, at 2:04 PM, c b <cb31450 at gmail.com> wrote:

Your assessment makes sense to me Marv. I think , also there is
> a possibility that the backlash against the fascistic tea Republicans
> could swing further left than "moderate centre". The negation of the
> tea Republican positions is not a centre position , but a left
> position. Bartlett now holds positions that are left, not moderate
> centre.

I don't think we can describe Bartlett or Major as belonging to the left, and they wouldn't describe themselves that way, but no matter. Their criticisms of austerity underscore our own and reach a much larger audience, including within the highest reaches of the bourgeoisie. Insofar as they contribute to widening a split at the top and lend legitimacy to protests against government policies from below, we can agree it's important to circulate their critiques, wherever they're coming from politically.