[lbo-talk] Art and the CIA

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Oct 29 13:04:40 PDT 2013

These CIA guys were fairly high-domed, pitching to elite opinion. Thus, art.

-----

Yes. The emphasis was on abstract expressionism as evidence of FREEDOM in the FREE WORLD. I forget the details now, but the editor of Encounter cooperated with the CIA. Also the president (or some staff member) of the National Student Association.

I can't remember any of the details, but I blew up about some of this at some English Department meeting or forum. It may have been by objecting to adoption of a textbook edited by one of the CIA "cultural warriors."

Carrol