[lbo-talk] Art and the CIA

Arthur Maisel arthurmaisel at gmail.com
Tue Oct 29 13:45:47 PDT 2013

Personally, I think it's hilarious that they believed they were influencing enough people to justify the line in the budget. Also, that it didn't occur to them that U.S. cultural hegemony---enforced in the usual ways---might create resentment, which their support would aggravate.

In the end it may have hastened the domestication of the art---to the point where corporate designers would choose the travertine in the lobby to match the Pollock. This ultimately killed the art by emphasizing its decorative elements rather than the freedom it was created to embody. But the artists got a nice ride, with high prices for their work---not a bad thing.