[lbo-talk] Suspicious silence

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 5 10:46:19 PDT 2013

Jordan: "And what would that way be?"

[WS:] Boots on the ground, like in Iraq. Except that proposal would be DOA, so O proposes a largely symbolic action to show who's the boss.

I mostly agree with your assessment of the situation in Syria - it is a fucked situation regardless of what the US does. That is a good reason to stay out of it - at least we would have some credibility to do something after the dust settles.

I think O made mistake first by drawing a 'red line' and then by asking Congress for authorization to use military force. Drawing a line reduced his flexibility and control of the situation, which was probably the biggest asset in this messy situation. After that, others pull strings and O is jumping like a puppet to maintain his credibility. Second, his move let his opponents in Congress appear reasonable and make him appear unreasonable, no matter what the outcome is. If they go along with his request, they will say - we can support this president if he comes up with a sensible proposal. if they do not, they will paint themselves as defenders of common sense against warmongering Obama. In either case, O hand will be weakened in his future dealings with Congress on domestic issues.

-- Wojtek