[lbo-talk] Antiwar song on CounterPunch

Arthur Maisel arthurmaisel at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 09:01:13 PDT 2013

I think it's arguable that Bush got himself painted into a corner by Chaney et al. ("That's all you've got?") and wan't lucky enough to be bailed out by someone. W was always one for the path of least resistance.

I wish that Obama would learn from this that he has *power*---few beside the President are in a position to change the war juggernaut's course once it gets rolling. DP seriously understates the support: the executive branch and the military and the media were set to go; the Congress might have grumbled a bit after the fact about not being consulted. And the "folks" would have come around once they started to talk about supporting the troops. But does anyone really believe that the US wouldn't have bombed Syria if Obama hadn't seized the opportunity of backing down? Just being willing to face the likely chorus of "chicken" is an accomplishment for an American male.

How this came to pass does not do O much credit, true, but one wonders if Bush would have had the intelligence/imagination/guts to take advantage of Putin's help in such a situation. I doubt it; and I also doubt that O will learn much from this, alas. Kind of late for him to be learning, anyway.