[lbo-talk] nearly half rebel fighters are jihadists

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Mon Sep 16 12:54:33 PDT 2013

On Sep 16, 2013, at 3:21 PM, Gar Lipow wrote:

> Syria is culturally Muslim, so if non-Jihadist Muslims and secular
> groups
> combined represent more than 50% of the armed groups that is good
> news,
> especially since the unarmed portion of the rebels have a much higher
> percent of non-Jihadist members. That is actually good evidence
> for LPs
> viewpoint on Syria being correct. As a side note, if the US ever
> develops
> a sustained left movement I suspect it will be because the liberal
> Christian churches becomes radicalized and move beyond liberalism.

If they do, you can be totally certain that they will be committed to nonviolence. Religious *sentiments* can lead believers in liberatory directions. Religious *ideology* when armed is among the most reactionary and dangerous forces humanity has ever known. Killers proclaiming "God is Great" in any language (including Arabic) are enemies of liberation. Their only redeeming characteristic is their propensity to slaughter each other. The only reason not to call them nazis is that they--whether Zealots or Crusaders or Jihadists--existed long before their imitators, the hitlerites. No movement accepting such within its ranks has the slightest claim to our support.

Shane Mage

"L'après-vie, c'est une auberge espagnole. L'on n'y trouve que ce qu'on a apporté."

Bardo Thodol