[lbo-talk] Check your privilege: Rise of the Post-New Left political vocabulary

michael yates mikedjyates at msn.com
Wed Feb 5 10:34:51 PST 2014

You have to wonder about "privilege." Everybody has some compared to someone else, except maybe for the poorest, most destitute, minority, transgender, etc., etc. person in the world. And this example is ridiculous, since it will be impossible to find such a person. That is, no one will have every non-privileged quality.

I once taught prisoners. Every one of them was black, no doubt every one had been poor, no doubt every one had lived in really awful neighborhoods, etc. If ever there was a case where I had privilege, this was it. Yet, not once did anyone bring up anything like today's privilege discourse. They wanted what I had--a knowledge of economics. I learned a great deal from them too, and I think maybe I became a better person having met them. But in that prison, on those nights, we had a common purpose. And I could see that, while we had little in common in many ways, we might someday be brothers in struggle. Solidarity, now that's a word that can have real meaning and usefulness. And it was their condition that mattered, not my privilege. However, it was now my duty to use my freedom to speak out against what they had to experience. I could no longer say, I didn't know about this.