[lbo-talk] Chuck Grimes, RIP

William Quimby quimbywm at gmail.com
Mon Feb 17 13:58:12 PST 2014

In March of last year, after a thread (subject forgotten) that Chuck contributed to and really enlightened, I sent a private message of thanks for his clear and useful contributions, and wished that he would devote himself to writing - article, books, whatever. His reply was also private, but I sense that he would have had no distress in my posting it. It illustrates what kind of a great comrade he was.

- Bill

Thanks Bill.

I've played around with writing but really I was trained in the visual arts and my head works in images probably more suitable to lesser forms of expression. I also work in moods and these are very hard to sustain. A lot more excuses.

I tried to unravel the mind of Leo Strauss, not a worthy topic, but a cold intellectual interest. That turned into a long drawn out project that's about one third finished. And what an ordinary revelation. He was completely out of sync with his time and place and reacted something like a snail, retreating into a self-enclosure pretty much fixed in design after his early thirties. But the adventure was great fun since I had to read through Weimar and early 1930s Germany, England, then the US for a sense of the intellectual climate he inhabited. Wow did he react badly to my generation...

Changing back, the story isn't over, although I certainly have the feeling that a kind of shadow has disappeared a world that is racing into the past. The Bush and now Obama administrations have created a break, probably a psychotic break, with the past before 9/11 that has no real concrete meaning, except an amplification of already existing themes. But keep it up long enough and it takes on a concrete reality. Really nothing has changed here at all, except prices. The entire phantasmagorical world that Washington has created out of its own imagination is staggering.

Anyway thanks again. If you haven't read it, try Special Operations Europe, Basil Davidson, 1980 (ISBN 0575028203). It's hard to find but I got a used paper back from the UK on Amazon so there are still copies around. It's tells the story of his wartime activities in the British secret services with partisan groups. It reads like a novel and builds up a sense of betrayal between the real and the official. Davidson later went into African studies, colonial and post-colonial history.

Chuck

--- This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active. http://www.avast.com