[lbo-talk] Beyond Growth or Beyond Capitalism?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Jan 23 17:50:32 PST 2014

" Who's the author lately who's made the argument that corporations purposefully pursued policies to keep us working 40+ hr weeks? Reason being: they were afraid of what would happen if we had more free time on our hands."

I hope someone can answer this.

I think it undoubtedly true that more free time is dangerous for capitalism. More than this raises the question of whether the ruling elites believe their own ideology? Richard Ohlmmann in apost last month on the Radical Caucus List observed that he always believed and taught that the capitalists _did_ believe their own ideology but that he was beginning to wonder. I forget his exact words, but roughly he suggested that capitalists now take the attitude that the future can take care of itself; a version of After Me the Deluge.

Carrol