[lbo-talk] Reuters: Pope says communists are closet Christians

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 04:45:18 PDT 2014

On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 1:58 PM, Charles Brown <cb31450 at gmail.com> wrote:

History doesn't repeat itself, but it rhymes sometimes.

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C3%A9lder_C%C3%A2mara

Apropos of nothing, and just to bore everybody with my strange, existential coincidences, I happened to look at that very page a few days ago. I had been discussing charity, politics, and the limitations of each with a devout Muslim friend in the international relief field, and when Câmara's famous quote came to mind, I wanted to remind myself of its background.

(The conclusion we reached, if anyone's interested, is that power-hungry, money-making bastards have it the easiest, not only in the more obvious ways, but also in terms of figuring out whether whatever they're doing is actually working or not. You're either getting more money and power, or you're not. With politics and charity, who the hell knows?)