[lbo-talk] Comments from the informed? "The 1, 500 year old schism fuelling the clash between Russia and the West"

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 06:35:57 PDT 2014

On Sun, Mar 9, 2014 at 6:44 AM, Michael Smith <mjs at smithbowen.net> wrote:

'a Greek-Orthodox Metropolitan (a title roughly equal to
> Cardinal from what I can gather)'.

I've actually had occasion to research the title recently (best not to ask). It depends very much on which Orthodox church you mean. Within the Eastern communion, they're above archbishops, and akin to cardinals, in some national churches, and below them, rather closer to bishops, in others. I don't know much about Ukrainian Greek Catholicism (other than a basic grasp of what it is), but since I see Sheptytsky was *the* metropolitan bishop of it, I gather we're dealing with something more like the former.