[lbo-talk] Two fronts in the immigrant workers' movement

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 16:15:23 PDT 2014

"About 150 people are on the fourth day of a hunger strike at an immigration detention centre in the US state of Washington, officials say.

"Supporters say the detainees are protesting over their treatment at the facility as well as calling for an end to deportations."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-26523111

"This afternoon, 250 migrants, who have lived in the United States most of their lives, are attempting to reenter the country after being deported. Many entire families are returning, while others are coming to rejoin family members still living in the United States. The group is chanting 'undocumented and unafraid' as they cross through the U.S. portal that separates Tijuana from San Diego."

http://wagingnonviolence.org/2014/03/full-families-challenge-u-s-mexico-border-mass-reentry

I haven't had a fast enough Internet connection to watch the livestream of the reentry, but the immigrant youth organization United We Dream tweeted about an hour ago that they had made it in.

If you use Twitter, follow the #Not1More and #BringThemHome hashtags, respectively, for more on these campaigns.