[lbo-talk] [Pen-l] A Divide Among Palestinians on a Two-State Solution

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Thu Mar 20 14:30:42 PDT 2014

Well, it depends... The Obama Administration pressured Abbas hard not to go to the UN last year, and threatened to cut off US aid to the PA if he did. But when he did anyway, the Administration lobbied Congress hard - and successfully - not to cut off aid.

So yeah, Abbas is constrained, but he is not totally constrained. And while he faces choices, it is not all or nothing - they could escalate more, without throwing caution to the winds. If Palestine is admitted to the ICC, that could turn out to be a big deal. If the PA escalated its support for BDS, if it pressed Arab and Islamic countries to do the same, that could be a big deal.