[lbo-talk] Was Marx right? A return to a world Marx would have known

Gar Lipow gar.lipow at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 14:56:53 PDT 2014

For good analysis Dougs piece is the best But De Long's piece has its own feature of interest. Not the beginning which deals with a cartoon version of Marx, but his conclusion. "The optimistic view is that our collective ingenuity will create so many things for people to do that are so attractive to the rich that they will pay through the nose for them and so recreate a middle-class society. The pessimistic view is that some pieces of (3) will be (a) mind-numbingly boring while (b) stubbornly impervious to artificial intelligence, while (4) will remain limited and for the most part poorly paid. In that case, our future is one of human beings chained to desks and screens acting as numbed-mind cogs for Amazon Mechanical Turk, forever.[1]" If that was intended as a *defense* of today's capitalism it is the weakest of weak sauce. Given that De Long is not brainless, my guess ia that this is a concession that even if he disputes Marx's logic, he acknowledges in today's world the correctness of his conclusions. http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2014/03/30/was-marx-right/marx-was-blind-to-the-systems-ingenuity-and-ability-to-reinvent