[lbo-talk] Angela Davis in support of the CUNY Graduate Center for Worker Education

michael yates mikedjyates at msn.com
Thu May 1 06:07:45 PDT 2014

by Angela Davis

I join with the many students, faculty, labor leaders and elected

officials who call upon Brooklyn College President Karen Gould

to restore the Graduate Center for Worker Education to its full

academic glory as a leading graduate program for New York's working

class. The GCWE developed generations of labor, legal, academic and

political leaders and activists for over 30 years.

The recent tragic destruction of the Graduate Center for Worker

Education and the wholesale purging of progressive faculty, staff and

graduate students is an unconscionable assault on an invaluable urban

working class institution. Brooklyn College also ended its support for

the Center's esteemed peer review journal "Working USA". Reminiscent

of the McCarthy era, under the pretext of administratively prosecuting

Professor Joseph Wilson, and tellingly, without any substantiated

legal or administrative findings, Brooklyn College used the attack as

a cover to dismantle the Worker Education program.

The long list of distinguished scholars associated with the Graduate

Center for Worker Education makes this attack even more outrageous.

Prolific public intellectuals including historian Gerald Horne, legal

scholar Genna Rae McNeil, labor scholar and activist Bill Fletcher,

award winning filmmaker Stanley Nelson, journalist Juan Gonzalez, and

Immanuel Ness, pathbreaking editor of the International Encyclopedia of

Protest and Revolution, are part of the extraordinary radical worker

education legacy CUNY and Brooklyn College seeks to sully and erase.

I recall with great pride my participation, a few years ago, in the

hallmark Worker Education conference "Black Woman and the Radical

Tradition" . The conference attracted scholars from around the U.S.,

Europe and Africa. We need to insure that the Graduate Center and the

rich intellectual activism giving rise to this tradition is defended

and restored.

http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/save-brooklyn-college?mailing_id=22039&source=s.icn.em.cr&r_by=1482010