[lbo-talk] Documented pattern of govt/elite front groups

Louis Trager ltrager at sonic.net
Thu Oct 2 13:26:42 PDT 2014

The collaboration between the citizens committees and the government was secret in the sense that at the time it was kept from the public, and from the officials whose decisions were at stake. It stood in direct contradiction to the representation of the committees -- by themselves and the media -- that they were independent, private, and ad hoc. Paul Douglas, for example, volunteered to reporters a number of time the lie that one of LBJ's Vietnam fronts had nothing to do with the White House, and the State Department and presidential press secretary were under orders to lie as well.

In short, these citizens committees constituted the sort of misrepresentation inherent in a front group, in this case perpetrated by a combination of some of the most influential private players and the state itself. Mea culpa for not making all that clear to everyone in the article.

Call it "confidential." Call it "private." Or go the other way and call it "covert" and "fraudulent."

Anyone who already knew all this information is way ahead of all the previous writers on the subject. No work had connected the dots among more than a few of the dozens of committees I mention, and none had elaborated the connection to the liberal consensus.