[lbo-talk] Documented pattern of govt/elite front groups

Louis Trager ltrager at sonic.net
Sat Oct 4 04:22:56 PDT 2014

Janine Wedel of George Mason University has a conception that's useful for analyzing the citizens committees as a continuous informal political organization, though she insists the phenomenon has arisen only since Reagan, and I wonder about her judgment in coining a 1950s-science-fictiony term for the participants in what she calls "flex networks": flexians.

Here's how Wedel expresses -- in Unaccountable, a forthcoming book already on Google Books -- an aspect of the curious nature of formations like the citizens committees: "Flex nets ... are not conspiracies, whose members must keep their activities and, often, the very existence of the group, secret. While some of the activities in support of its goals are publicly unrevealed, others are fully in the open, invite media attention, and may even be crafted by public relations experts."

Much of what I find so interesting about the committee model is precisely this not-a-conspiracy character. The activity of each committee is an upside-down iceberg -- its activity, composition, and specific purpose ordinarily as high-profile as the group can make it, "only" the government connection hidden. Further, the pattern of the committees over time, and their interlocks with standing organizations, have been hiding in plain sight for decades, dots connected between at most a few of the groups in just a few accounts, most of them academic or otherwise comparatively obscure. The Birchers and Birchoids really fell down on this one.

"The real scandal is what's legal." Conspiracism falls down rabbit holes in search of smoking guns implicating rogue groups. (And it produces books rife with innuendo and wishful misinformation.) The citizens-committee saga sheds light on operations near the heart of the system, with the convenience of the participants' having left us full-page newspaper ads boasting their names and immediate objectives.