[lbo-talk] Reflections on Slavoj Žižek’s book "Absolute Recoil: Towards a New Foundation of Dialectical Materialism“

Christian Fuchs christian.fuchs at uti.at
Tue Oct 21 15:19:23 PDT 2014

Fuchs, Christian. 2014. The dialectic: Not just the absolute recoil, but the world’s living fire that extinguishes and kindles itself. Reflections on Slavoj Žižek’s version of dialectical philosophy in “Absolute recoil. Towards a new foundation of dialectical materialism“. tripleC: Communication, Capitalism & Critique 12 (2): 848-875.

http://triple-c.at/index.php/tripleC/article/view/640

Abstract Slavoj Žižek shows in his book "Absolute Recoil" (and previous Hegelian works such as "Less than Nothing") the importance of repeating Hegel’s dialectical philosophy in contemporary capitalism. Žižek contributes especially to a reconceptualisation of dialectical logic and based on it the dialectic of history. The reflections in this paper stress that the dialectic is only the absolute recoil, a sublation that posits its own presuppositions, by working as a living fire that extinguishes and kindles itself. I point out that a new foundation of dialectical materialism needs a proper Heraclitusian foundation. I discuss Žižek’s version of the dialectic that stresses the absolute recoil and the logic of retroactivity and point out its implications for the concept of history as well as Žižek’s own theoretical ambiguities that oscillate between postmodern relativism and mechanical materialism. I argue that Žižek’s version of the dialectic should be brought into a dialogue with the dialectical philosophies of the German Marxists Hans Heinz Holz and Herbert Hörz. Žižek’s achievement is that he helps keeping alive the fire of dialectical materialism in the 21st century. Such a dialectical fire is needed for a proper revolutionary theory.