[lbo-talk] [Pen-l] A question for those in American accademia

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Thu Sep 4 17:00:32 PDT 2014

FWIW, I live in Champaign-Urbana, and it's on the front page of the local (Republican) newspaper every day for the last week.

6 academic departments at UIUC have voted "no confidence" in the Chancellor, which Corey Robin thinks is a big deal (and I agree):

http://coreyrobin.com/2014/09/03/more-votes-of-no-confidence-a-weird-ad-and-a-declaration-of-a-non-emergency/

In reading the coverage in today's News-Gazette (the local conservative newspaper, which helped spark the firing in the first place), it seemed to me that Chancellor Wise had changed her tone, somewhat less arrogant now. She still stands by her decision, but admits that she screwed up by not consulting faculty before taking it. That tells me that she dramatically underestimated the blowback.

Robert Naiman Policy Director Just Foreign Policy www.justforeignpolicy.org naiman at justforeignpolicy.org (202) 448-2898 x1