[lbo-talk] Phyllis Wise, chancellor , Remains Piggish to the End

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Sep 8 08:06:57 PDT 2014

Joanna: That's partly because, normally, this type of people never have to deal with any opposition or criticism. It makes them ... stupid.

-------

This habit of linking obnoxious behavior or stupidity of decisions to personal "stupidity" of the agent is one hell of a bad habit. Joanna's claim above is _stupid_, but we certainly know that Joanna is not stupid. The implicit premise is that all 6 plus billion humans have identical goals. When you allow for wildly different purposes, the ascription of "stupidity" disappears. We don't accurse an arsonist of being stupid in playing with matches.

Carrol