[lbo-talk] Phyllis Wise, chancellor , Remains Piggish to the End

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 10:00:22 PDT 2014

On Mon, Sep 8, 2014 at 6:06 PM, Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:

We don't accurse an arsonist of being stupid in playing with
> matches.

We do if he burns his fingers, which seems like an apt metaphor for Wise.

About the class as a whole, I don't know. From my *very *limited experience with university administrators, I can't recognize half these characterizations. It seems to me like a significant, if not always major, part of their responsibility is defusing and diverting "opposition from below" skillfully: crafting careful statements that offend nobody and say nothing, wasting the time of campus activists on endless rounds of fruitless meetings, hatching any necessary plots far behind the scenes, etc.

Wise seems to have tried an opposite strategy, and not because that one's never worked.