[lbo-talk] Just Foreign Policy: Help the Progressive Caucus Limit the Iraq-Syria war

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Fri Sep 26 12:05:32 PDT 2014

For those who may be interested, here is our alert on the CPC resolution.

---------- Forwarded message ---------- From: Just Foreign Policy <info at justforeignpolicy.org> Date: Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 4:08 PM Subject: Help the Progressive Caucus Limit the Iraq-Syria war To: naiman at justforeignpolicy.org

[image: Just Foreign Policy] <http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=47uzLp2R%2BJYk%2BNM6OqIq4FGHnjXQn3IL>

Dear Robert,

Urge Congress to support the CPC principles for limiting the Iraq/Syria war . Sign our petition <http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=CCW2%2BIIfmW4GCmC9PQFTlFGHnjXQn3IL>

A new U.S. war has begun in Iraq and Syria—without Congressional authorization. With Congress in recess and an election coming up, there will be no Congressional vote until November.

But it is virtually certain that Congress will vote on an authorization after the election, and that whatever they vote on will pass. What is in the authorization they vote on is something that we can still influence. In the process, we can help put a quick end to this war, preventing it from becoming another endless quagmire.

Now, while Congress is in recess, is the time for us to build political support for limiting the war.

The Congressional Progressive Caucus resolution, H.Con.Res.114 [1], establishes a set of four principles that we can organize around to limit the war. It has the support of a wide array of top progressive Democrats in Congress [2].

The resolution says that Congress:

- should debate and vote on whether the U.S. should be involved in

sustained combat in Iraq or Syria

- does not support the deployment of ground combat troops in Iraq or

Syria;

- should ensure that the use of force is narrowly tailored and limited;

and

- should enact strong reporting requirements on the use of force.

*Show your support for H.Con.Res.114 and these principles by signing our petition at MoveOn: http://www.justforeignpolicy.org/act/progressive-caucus-iraq-syria <http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=YuBksjXloZ83JpueODno7FGHnjXQn3IL>*

In particular, Congress should:

- prohibit the use of ground combat troops;

- ensure that an authorization has a time limit or sunset provision [3]

so that it has to be renewed in the future for war to continue rather than

lasting indefinitely by default; and

- ensure that there is regular public reporting on civilian deaths and

injuries from U.S. airstrikes, so the public can better understand reports

in the media about civilian casualties.

*Show your support for H.Con.Res.114 and these principles by signing and sharing our petition. http://www.justforeignpolicy.org/act/progressive-caucus-iraq-syria <http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=VMFU4SFbJ4f%2FJdlKD28F71GHnjXQn3IL>*

Thank you for all you do to help limit war with democracy and the rule of law,

Robert Naiman and Megan Iorio Just Foreign Policy

*Help us reach our September fundraising goal—make a $10 tax-deductible contribution today!* Your financial support helps us create opportunities for Americans to agitate for a more just foreign policy.

http://www.justforeignpolicy.org/donate <http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=3XZNMifqOcyTyEq15p47OFGHnjXQn3IL>

References: 1. “H.Con.Res.114,” https://beta.congress.gov/bill/113th-congress/house-concurrent-resolution/114/text <http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=S9C30%2FZiEIWV2P2LAcS4w1GHnjXQn3IL> 2. Key progressive leaders in Congress supporting H.Con.Res.114 include Reps. Raul Grijalva, Keith Ellison, Barbara Lee, Jim McGovern, Alan Grayson, Peter DeFazio, Peter Welch, Mark Pocan, Jim McDermott, John Conyers, Katherine Clark, Beto O'Rourke, Janice Hahn, Richard Nolan, Michael Honda, Chellie Pingree, Niki Tsongas, Mark Takano. https://beta.congress.gov/bill/113th-congress/house-concurrent-resolution/114/cosponsors <http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=gHrZRfwIb6Oh8PvBi4al8VGHnjXQn3IL> 3. “Why Congress Must Impose Limits on the Use of Force in Iraq,” Robert Naiman, The Nation, September 3, 2014, http://www.thenation.com/article/181473/why-congress-must-impose-limits-use-force-iraq <http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=V1RiY%2FWtO3hpXQJ9C3wbZVGHnjXQn3IL>

<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=9PIGHLiO%2BE4%2BtZmaaesIY1GHnjXQn3IL>

[image: Please support our work. Donate for a Just Foreign Policy] <http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=e3lbN9uRZpU2xyE12gfRt1GHnjXQn3IL>

© 2014 Just Foreign Policy