[lbo-talk] On Jacobin's unfriendliness to the visually impaired

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Aug 4 11:20:54 PDT 2015

In attempting to read an article in Jacobin from last January I discovered that Jacobinis actively unfriendly to the disabled -- in particular to those with poor vision. The first evidence of this is the home page. It is impossible for the legally blind to discover on that page a button through which one can communicate with Jacobin. I searched for that button after being unable to read accurately an interview published in it.

In the interview questions are identified by being in bold face. But I can barely if at all tell the difference between bold and normal in the interview.

In order for me to "read" it (i.e. listen to ZoomText read it for me -- synthetic speech) I had to first put it through EmaiStripper (eliminating variations in font), then copy to a Word file. (There are other ways, but this is the only one I find at all comfortable.)

I finally gave up trying to read the interview.

Can someone provide me with the email address for the editor of Jacobin.

Carrol