[lbo-talk] UPDATE: Saturday night's (DEC. 19th) Phil Ochs 75th birthday celebration at the Brooklyn Commons

Mitchel Cohen mitchelcohen at mindspring.com
Thu Dec 17 10:51:03 PST 2015

Hi!

What an incredible lineup we have for the Phil Ochs 75th birthday celebration this Saturday night at the Brooklyn Commons! 388 Atlantic Avenue between Hoyt at Bond St. It's going to be great.

It also will be livestreamed. The event begins at 7 pm Saturday! Click <http://www.thecommonsbrooklyn.org/node/768>HERE.

Please help spread the word, and come early -- doors open at 6:15pm -- as I think it will be pretty crowded (but then again the weather is supposed to be pretty raw, so who knows?) The last Phil Ochs night I co-organized with Cathryn Swan 10 years ago(!) began at midnight on Bob Fass's LIVE show on WBAI and went til 3:30 a.m. during a blizzard and the transit strike, and it was packed all the way through!) This one begins at 7 pm until 10 pm.

Below is the list as of today (and I expect that there will be walk-ons, too -- please let me know NOW which song you'll want to do!).

*** O yea, one more thing: TONIGHT (Thursday) starting at 7:30 pm in Queens, Joel Landy is hosting a Phil Ochs night too! The event will be recorded for cablecasting on Songs of Freedom Television, AND it will be seen online on Concert Window. It's at Odradeks Coffee House in Kew Gardens, Queens (7:30pm to 10pm), 82-60 Austin St., Queens 11415. (718) 374-3131. [E or F train to Union Turnpike (first eastbound car; last westbound car). Walk up Queens Blvd. or Kew Gardens Rd. to 82nd Road. Turn Right and walk towards the LIRR station. Oradeks Cafe is alongside the Manhattan bound side of the tracks of the Kew Gardens station. The location right near where Kitty Genovese was murdered in '64, about which Phil wrote "Small Circle of Friends." (Thank you Joel for that bit of history!)] Here is the <https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10206753304405167&set=gm.1681212782109417&type=3&theater>link for tonight.

Shout out to Tania at The Commons for the great voicing of the promo that's been running for 2 weeks on WBAI, and to Alexi for much of the behind-the-scenes and social media work!

Everyone can come, money or no. No one will be turned away for lack of funds. We are, however, asking for a donation of between $5 and $500 (all right, we won't turn down your $1,000 contribution ... ) to help sustain the Brooklyn Commons as a movement space, the wonderful venue of this Phil Ochs birthday celebration. So come, enjoy, participate, pay what you can!

Here's a Facebook page to forward to your virtual "friends": https://www.facebook.com/events/1505106179820159/ (or so I'm told. I don't do FaceBook, Inc. (FBI), which I view as a surveillance mechanism.)

See list of performers, below!

Mitchel Cohen

SATURDAY, DECEMBER 19TH Performers (in alphabetical order, not performing order!)

JAY BERG, The Ballad of Lou Marsh

RAS MOSHE BURNETT, Love Me I'm a Liberal

MITCHEL COHEN, When I'm Gone (finale, with everyone?)

RANDY CREDICO, Satire in the Spirit of Phil Ochs

JASON FARBMAN, Haymarket Books -- Joe Hill Book (talk)

MARCY GORDON, Draft Dodger Rag

DON GROSSINGER, talking - co-hosting

JOE JACOVINO, I Dreamed I Saw Phil Ochs Last Night (Billy Bragg)

JOEL LANDY, Too Many Martyrs

SHARLEEN LEAHY, Power and Glory

DAVE LIPPMAN, I Ain't a-Mergin Anymore

DEZAIHR OWENS, I ain't marchin' anymore

BERNARDO PALOMBO, Ya no marcho mas

BENJAMIN PARISH, I'll be There

PINETREE, Changes

ALAN PODBER, Celia, & The Confession

ANNE PRICE, There But for Fortune

RHIO,

HANNAH REIMAN, No More Songs

ELIZABETH RUF MALDONADO,

BEN SILVER, One More Parade

DAVID TARLO & THE HUDSON VALLEY SALLEY BAND, Is There Anybody Here? & The Ballad of William Worthy