[lbo-talk] The Tape of Human History

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Dec 17 12:36:31 PST 2015

The passage quoted here was by Marv, not me.

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Joseph Catron Sent: Thursday, December 17, 2015 2:20 PM To: LBO Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] The Tape of Human History

On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 3:01 PM, Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:

Wojtek and Carrol are idealizing the relations which existed between
> masters and slaves, lords and serfs, in order to make their dubious
> point that the relationship between capitalists (deemed to lack any
> sense of paternalistic obligation) and workers is incomparably worse.

I don't know if it's "paternalistic" or wholly rational, but contemporary capitalists certainly feel obligated to prevent the emergence of "let them eat cake" scenarios, at least within their immediate spheres, and are willing to put serious money into it. The charitable-industrial complex that exists in places like New York is proof of that. In social democracies, the welfare state serves a similar function.