[lbo-talk] anarchist films

Jeffrey Masko j.alan.masko at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 08:45:57 PST 2015

Salt of the Earth is good, but dated. Seems more like a proto-feminist film than anything these days. To most audiences, it's not that different than *They Drive By Night *(Walsh, 1940) and other "union" films of the period.

Ken Loach is sentimental and full of clichés, especially as he got older. Classic style, classical plotting=boring films.

If you want Hollywood style classical cinema *Matewan *by Sayles in miles above the others. Again, I've not all of them them. I've heard *Eros + Massacre* (Yoshida, 1969) is really worth a look, but be ready for heavy art-film conventions.

Born in Flames the best by far for its use not only for its thematic concerns, but formal qualities. *Zero for Conduit *(Vigo, 1933)is the best for a classic structure and the mere fact that it is a acknowledged classic that is indeed anarchistic. Another great film from 1933 should be on here as it has more depth than most of the films that foreground their politics and that's Duck Soup (McCarey, 1933). Hell, any of the pre-code films by the Marx Brothers are better than most here. <http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0564970?ref_=tt_ov_dr>

Same with *W.R.: Mysteries of the Organism *(Makavejev, 1971) and Travis Wlikerson's experimental (yet very accessible, I show it to undergrads) reflexive Injury to One (2002) on the murder of Frank Little and consequences of the battle for Butte. These aren't on the list, but should be. Hell, just the formalism of Godard walks all over most of these if anarchy is about not letting someone (the studio, director, crew, writers, etc) dictate the feelings you should have. Loach has to be the worst on that account. And I agree, how is *Naked *on this list at all?

A problem with lists like this is that they presuppose a subject matter that is reflected by subject matter, I could argue that *Easy Rider* (Hopper, 1969) belongs on this list as might *Bonnie and Clyde* (Penn, 1969).