[lbo-talk] Am I or Am I Not Charlie?

Bill Bartlett william7 at aapt.net.au
Thu Jan 8 16:29:27 PST 2015

On 09/01/2015, at 6:39 AM, "JOANNA A." <123hop at comcast.net> wrote:

> I don't know what it means to be Charlie.

It probably means feeling an obligation, arising from an instinct of solidarity, to take up the baton of making fun of religious and political zealots of all persuasions. (But, given the circumstances of course, especially Islamic religious and political zealots.) Some journalists seem to have taken up the challenge, I saw one report recently from the ABC's reporter in France clumsily insert into his story a bit about how the extremists keep telling us that God is great, but it appears they aren't even confident their God can withstand these attacks from a small satirical newspaper. http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2015/s4159633.htm

A fragile God indeed is the God of the Islamic fundamentalist.

If taking over the job of making fun of these idiots from those the idiots have killed in revenge is what it means to be Charlie, then I'm willing. Though perhaps some are more able than me.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas