[lbo-talk] the nonsense of public opinion

Shag Carpet Bomb gracehinchcliff at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 17:16:19 PST 2015

On Sat, Feb 28, 2015 at 5:50 PM, Joseph Catron <jncatron at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 28, 2015 at 5:31 PM, MM <marxmail00 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Zizek’s point is rather that cops standing down may be a marker of the
> > turning point in any regime’s fall from legitimacy / authority /
> durability.
>

> It could be. It could also be a sign that the cops are individually sane,
> or lazy, or however else you want to characterize the vast majority of
> people, who avoid conflict rather than seeking it out. My money's on the
> latter.

Boy, ain't dat da troot. We're discovering this with our local cops, working with them on how they enforce traffic law - and as it turns out, pretty much everything else. They are incredibly lazy. We put in a bunch of FOIA requests and sometimes, reading various reports, they just come off as not only, but pretty chicken shit. We watched some of them in bike cop training, which was pretty hilarious. One of 'em pulled up to a corner and grasped a utility pole, sweating, huffing and puffing. They couldn't have gone much more than 5 miles. And recently, a female officer, not sure of her role in the bike squad, bragged about how they could ride a bike a whole 20 miles!

They are also lazy about being informed of the law at all.

They get their ass up, of course, as soon as anyone doesn't treat them with the respect they think they deserve. They attend meetings with us, supposedly on a task force type of thing. They prove largely incapable of dropping their sense of inviolable superiority to recognize that they don't know everything and will argue forever and a day that they are correct. Shit, they can't even deal with it when the city attorney walks in and tells them they are wrong in their interpretation of the law.

Shag