[lbo-talk] [pen-l] Stark new evidence on how money shapes America's elections

Marv Gandall marvgand2 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 20:13:27 PDT 2016

> On Aug 12, 2016, at 7:52 PM, nathan tankus <somekindofheterodox at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> This is a general relationship that is very tight for congressional races but those are different things from presidential elections. Ferguson would be the first to tell you that there is a) much more variability in general elections given how few there are b) there does seem to be a ceiling effect for money in general elections. In other words, you need money to run a good campaign but at a certain level more money doesn't mean you can guarantee yourself the election. Trump in particular has been a god at free advertisement. His strategy would probably not be workable at a smaller level.

Interesting observation, but in this round Clinton has a huge spending advantage, and all of the free advertising Trump has been getting has a negative effect. Unlike the primaries, it now reaches beyond and alienates rather than attracts those outside the Republican base. Plus, the ruling class now perceives him as a threat and has united solidly against him. Absent any dramatic development such as a major terrorist attack or renewed financial crisis, the rule should apply.