[lbo-talk] What Sanders represents: Peggy Noonan warns her readers

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Tue Feb 9 09:04:34 PST 2016

On Feb 9, 2016, at 9:31 AM, Shag Carpet Bomb wrote:

> Is what he's saying viable? I assume he means a transaction tax on Wall St
> transaction
Yes, this sort of tax is necessary to decrease that form of corruption in Wall Street's criminal "business model." It would also take in sizable revenue
> , raising capital gains?
it would neither raise nort lower capital gains since speculation is a zero-sum game. But it would reduce the waste of resources on purposeless speculation
> Will that approach dampen economic growth?
It will in itself have no impact whatsoever on economic growth, which is determined by social , fiscal, and (to a small extent) monetary policies
> Will capital balk and try to punish working class? (If so, how would they do that?)
Everywhere and at all times capital "punishes" the working class to the full extent of its ability to do so. Taxation of speculative trading will neither increase n or decrease the ability of capital to do so. Speculators will of course try to find more hospitable foreign bourses, but the only one liquid enough (The City) is even more shaky and, thanks to Corbyn, more politically challenged than Wall Street is right now.
> What is the economic outlook if Bernie wins? (Investing my 401k accordingly, natch. :)
The economic outlook is for severe recession, which could be countered only by a truly massive redirection of investment away from everything to do with fossil fuels and into everything to do with alternative and renewable energy sources and storage technologies. This, like anything really radical, is not part of Sanders's campaign (a Gore-Warren ticket, however...

> Interestingly, she's certain that a bunch of Dems will defect if Sanders
> wins, presumably she is hoping they migrate to the Republicans where they
> will join forces with the moderates?
Noonan and her like seem to have given up on the GOP. Their scheme is a BiPartisan Third, "moderate," billionaire-financed, Party. The ideal ticket would be clinton-bush (though the wrong ones, one of the right ones (WJC) being constitutionally ineligible and the other (GHWB) overaged). More likely they would have to settle for something like Bloomberg-Ryan.

Shane Mage

This cosmos did none of gods or men make, but it always was and is and shall be: an everlasting fire, kindling in measures and going out in measures.

Herakleitos of Ephesos