[lbo-talk] Jayati Ghosh on the contradictory effects of tech change

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Mon Feb 15 10:29:01 PST 2016

On Feb 15, 2016, at 1:06 PM, Jordan Hayes wrote:
> The problem I have with Uber and Airbnb is that a fundamental part of their business plan is the complete circumvention of regulation...

The problem that I have with regulation is that the "regulators" are themselves always regulated by monopoly-minded capitalists and the regulations (beyond minimal health and safety and reliability standards, which themselves are, not accidentally, often honored more in the breach than in the observance) are basically schemes to cartelize and thus prevent entry to economic activities where the "unregulated competition" that so outrages Calchas in the Third Act of "La Belle Hélène" would wipe out monopoly rents.

Shane Mage

This cosmos did none of gods or men make, but it always was and is and shall be: an everlasting fire, kindling in measures and going out in measures."

Herakleitos of Ephesos