[lbo-talk] Jayati Ghosh on the contradictory effects of tech change

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Mon Feb 15 10:39:35 PST 2016

Shane Mage writes:

> The problem that I have with regulation is that the
> "regulators" are themselves always regulated by monopoly-minded
> capitalists ...

Well sure, but in the mean time cities are closing schools and selling fire trucks because of this kind of thing. There are only three players in this society: Capital; Worker; and Government. When Capital seeks to destroy Government, Worker's only choice is to support Government.

> ... and the regulations (beyond minimal health and safety and
> reliability standards, which themselves are, not accidentally,
> often honored more in the breach than in the observance) ...

I'm thinking more like labor laws, environmental laws, non-descrimination laws ... you know, the places where government has been the only backstop to capital.

[...]

> The libertarian communist response should be ...

Oh, libertarian. Right.

/jordan