[lbo-talk] [Pen-l] The Sanders campaign

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Jan 25 12:03:19 PST 2016

Albert Sonntag: I shall vote and work for Sanders, but I think that the White House no longer has the power to direct the overall direction of foreign or domestic policies. Isn't this what the last eight years have shown us?

------

He or she has the power to carry out the Neoliberal/Imperialist program. But let's leave that aside.

Suppose everything his admirers say about Sanders were true. An anecdote from the '30s is relevant. Some laboar leaders called on FDR tourge a particular policy. At the end of the discussion he said: O.K. You've convinced me. Now go out and make me do it.

In other words, when you are talking about popular interest, elections by themselves are pointless without a strong non-electoral movement to enforce what the nice-guy president wants to do but won't do unless he/she is forced to do it.

Your vote is meaningless. Your work in building a mass movement might be useful.

Carrol