[lbo-talk] [Pen-l] The Sanders campaign

Marv Gandall marvgand2 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 20:26:29 PST 2016

It’s not often I find myself in agreement with Carrol, so I’m very happy to agree with him on two of his observations:

1. The “Shallow State" does so much damage that no "Deep State" is needed.

While sinister outlaw acts by state security agencies and outright military repression are the means of last resort against a government or movement which threatens vital capitalist interests, reformist social democratic governments are tamed by economic measures, chiefly the threat of capital flight, economic collapse, and job loss which they fear, often with reason, will lose them the popular support which raised them into power. The corporate media is instrumental in fanning and circulating these fears. The Greek and Venezuelan social democratic governments are the most recent to have been undermined by these forms of economic pressure.

2. Even Cox or Proyect or Marv would serve the corporations if elected president unless there was a huge mass movement to make them do what they wanted to do.

Exactly right. Which is why I’ve always declined the nomination.