[lbo-talk] [Pen-l] The Sanders campaign

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Jan 25 12:46:00 PST 2016

The "Shallow State" does so much damage that no "Deep State" is needed.

Carrol

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Albert Sonntag Sent: Monday, January 25, 2016 2:38 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] [Pen-l] The Sanders campaign

So the Deep State would be the executive arm of Mills' 'Power Elite', in a more barbaric, racketeering, type of political environment?

I remember it said in the late sixties that Ehrlichman and Haldemann brought to the White House the corporate ethics and modus operandi they had learned in Business School at USC in the fifties. Looking at the photos of Obama and Clinton, etc., watching the film of Osama bin Laden's assassination, a scene that conjures up a vision of Hitler's viewing the film of the Stauffenberg execution, it seems we have moved significantly beyond USC Business School. Politics at its highest levels has been brutalized.

On 1/25/2016 11:47 AM, Shane Mage wrote:
> On Jan 25, 2016, at 1:55 PM, Albert Sonntag wrote:
>
>> I shall vote and work for Sanders, but I think that the White House no
longer has the power to direct the overall direction of foreign or domestic policies. Isn't this what the last eight years have shown us? Perhaps someone on this list can enlighten me on where power ultimately lies in the USA at the moment. Ultimate, "Federal," power. I have heard a lot of references to the "deep State". Is this the same as C. Wright Mills' 'Power Elite'?
> The "Deep State" is not something visible to the Sociological Imagination.
It is a group of men commanding an extra-legal armed group within the "honorable" institutions of government whose function is to impose the discipline of a mafia (especially omerta) over those political figures who might be tempted to believe that their official positions or popular support give them more than the illusion of some power. It is like an iceberg, almost all of it deep below the surface. Visible at the top are figures like A. Mitchell Palmer, J. Edgar Hoover, Allen Dulles, George H. W. Bush, William Casey. Its power is wielded by assassination (think Huey Long, Carlo Tresca, Malcolm X, J.F. Kennedy, M.L. King, Robert Kennedy, George Wallace, Hale Boggs, Paul Wellstone) blackmail (think Elliot Spitzer, John Edwards,) and the threat of both (Ted Kennedy, Barack Obama). It is the REALITY of capitalist democracy.