[lbo-talk] Two Cheers for Brexit

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Jun 25 10:29:01 PDT 2016

> On Jun 25, 2016, at 4:16 AM, Wendy Lyon <wendy.lyon at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Speaking as someone who has always identified with the Eurosceptic left, I
> cannot see anything good coming out of this for the English and Welsh
> working class.

Me either. It was sad to see people like Tariq Ali celebrating Leave's victory. The campaign was, from the start, dominated by a xenophobic right. Sure, a lot of the supporters are marginalized people in the sticks, much like Trump supporters here, but that doesn't mean there's anything noble about their consciousness, nor is there a way to imagine that they're going to benefit from Britain leaving the EU. I was going to say they just wanted to get rid of that Polish guy down the block, but most of the Leave voters live in areas with few immigrants (immigrants congregate in prosperous areas, not backwaters), so the wanted to get rid of that Polish guy in London.

Doug