[lbo-talk] "Theory" "Thought"

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat May 14 19:15:45 PDT 2016

>From a plug for Verso's Radical Thinkers series: "Verso's beautifully
designed Radical Thinkers series, which brings together seminal works by leading left-wing intellectuals, is a sophisticated blend of theory and thought."

How would one differentiate theory and thought.

I know a bit about the distinction the Chinese developed, embodied in the difference (in Chinese) of the word translated as "ism" and the Chinese word translated as thought. And I know Mao queried a visiting physicist from the University of Chicago as to whether western scientists made the distinction. But does exist in western thought [sic] and, if so, is it of any importance?

Carrol