[lbo-talk] [pen-l] "Theory" "Thought"

Mark Wain wtkh at comcast.net
Sun May 15 16:28:18 PDT 2016

Lenin called Marxism Marx' doctrine rather than theory as a conclusive and theoretical summary. A thought's a theory prior to reaching conclusions.

-----Original Message----- From: pen-l at mail.csuchico.edu [mailto:pen-l at mail.csuchico.edu] On Behalf Of Carrol Cox Sent: Saturday, May 14, 2016 10:16 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org; Progressive and Critical Sociologist Network; pen-l at mail.csuchico.edu Subject: [pen-l] "Theory" "Thought"

>From a plug for Verso's Radical Thinkers series: "Verso's beautifully designed Radical Thinkers series, which brings together seminal works by leading left-wing intellectuals, is a sophisticated blend of theory and thought."

How would one differentiate theory and thought.

I know a bit about the distinction the Chinese developed, embodied in the difference (in Chinese) of the word translated as "ism" and the Chinese word translated as thought. And I know Mao queried a visiting physicist from the University of Chicago as to whether western scientists made the distinction. But does exist in western thought [sic] and, if so, is it of any importance?

Carrol

-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Progressive Economics" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to pen-l+unsubscribe at mail.csuchico.edu. To post to this group, send email to pen-l at mail.csuchico.edu. Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/a/mail.csuchico.edu/group/pen-l/. To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/mail.csuchico.edu/d/msgid/pen-l/009301d1ae4f%24b05f4ca0%24111de5e0%24%40ilstu.edu. For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/a/mail.csuchico.edu/d/optout.