[lbo-talk] Those who claim chimps have culture do not understand the full nature of culture.

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Nov 7 13:58:41 PST 2016

I disagree, _strongly_, with Charles on two questions: (1) Marxism is not a TOE, as he seems to assume; (2) Revolution cannot, in any strong sense of the word, be theorized. But it seems to me that in this case, both Shane and Joanna are committing the same error Charles makes. Both assume that one can take a general principle and rigorously deduce from that principle the future actions of anyone who holds the principle. I have often learned from Shane, but it is becoming more and more obvious that continuation of the "War Against Stalinism" is a children's game which fucks up understanding of the world. Both Trotsky & Stalin are as irrelevant as Antony & r Octavius and Antony. And principles do not have anything whatever to do with cruelty to animals, though cruelty to animals is a practice that may become the source of principles. But it is the cruelty, not the principles, which must be opposed.

Dogmatism cannot be a substitute for dogmatism -- and that is what both Shane & Joanna are attempting to do.

Carrol