This week's Barron's

Greg Nowell GN842 at CNSVAX.Albany.Edu
Mon Aug 31 10:18:25 PDT 1998

--Good article by Abelson on the meltdown. --Don't miss the article on junk bonds in the money section. Interesting discussion of liquidity issues. --Don't forget to check out the futures market listings on currencies and resources of interest (oil, gas, etc.).

I have long admired the ability of the left to pick at capitalism's defects, especially with regard to equity isues. But I've never found left-wing analysis to be particularly useful for the 401k. When I started grad skool in 1980 one of my first papers was on the debt crisis and how it was going to bring everything to a crashing halt, and probably very soon, at that. My prof (W.D. Burnham) reminded me not to underestimate capitalism's ability to muck along in a kind of grinding perpetual problem mode. In any case the futures market listings are always good for "another view" of what the next two years or so are looking like.

-- Gregory P. Nowell Associate Professor Department of Political Science, Milne 100 State University of New York 135 Western Ave. Albany, New York 12222

Fax 518-442-5298