Merger Mania

Enzo Michelangeli em at who.net
Sun Dec 13 17:22:15 PST 1998

-----Original Message----- From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> Date: Monday, December 14, 1998 3:28 AM

>Enzo Michelangeli wrote:
>
>>No you shouldn't: low tech is what industries in the 3rd world can do
best,
>>and if you flood their market with subsidized products you destroy their
>>fledgling industries. Instead, you should open your markets and _buy_
their
>>products. Even if this upsets your steel lobby (and your textile lobby,
and
>>your toy lobby and...)
>
>And what line of work are you in?

I'm not sure about the relevance, but anyway: I did several things in my life, from software development to international trade to technical management; at the moment I'm trying to grow a software start-up developing products for secure messaging (based on cryptographic technology). That dovetails with my personal interests in e-cash matters (hence the connection to Hayek's "Denationalization of Money" etc.) and privacy issues.

Talking about which: does anybody on this list have opinions about the recent review of the Wassenaar Arrangement, export controls on cryptography etc.?

Enzo