Please don't bomb Iraq

Micah Timothy Holmquist micahth at umich.edu
Wed Dec 16 20:16:52 PST 1998

Not sure what you mean by the different bases upon which the war is being opposed but one thing very different about opposition today as compared to 8 years ago (or so I have heard since I was 7th grade at the time and really did not follow the anti-war forces) is that almost every person is equally opposed to the sanctions.

Last winter when the U.S. was rattling its sabres at Iraq, a group called Prevent was formed in the Ann Arbor community. Prevent consisted of not only the usual leftists but also some really active students from the Arab-American Anti-Discrimination Committee. When the the threats subceded the group remained active in opposition to the sanctions. Some of the people have gone on to form another group called the Palestinian Catastrophe Committee and has brought the case of the Palestinians to the attention of the University of Michigan community.

The opposition to sanctions, in my opinion at least, adds a much greater level of political sophistication to the protesters than would exist if they were solely anti-war.

Micah