Billy C

Micah Timothy Holmquist micahth at umich.edu
Fri Dec 18 08:12:51 PST 1998

At risk of just saying me too, I will say that I share many of the sentiments which Doug writes here. On the other hand, however, the more logical side of me says that if I was opposed to impeaching Clinton on the articles of impeachment now being "debated" by Congress that I should still be opposed to them now even after Clinton has once again shown his true colors.

I do think that the situation in Iraq provides an opening for the GOP in terms of regaining the Presidency. If Clinton's policy towards Iraq is not deemed as successful, then the Republicans will have a legitimate point of contention with Clinton and will finally be able to say "sure we can't do a better job of cutting social programs, enlarging the military, or passing trade bills but you know what we are better imperialists."

O.k. so they won't say it like that but the point should be clear. Clinton was able to put a more progressive face on the presidency which was needed in the wake of the LA rebellion (or riots), but now his purpose and function (or that of people like him such as Gore) might be over.

Micah