Brad De Long doesn't belong on a left discussion list

Tue Jul 21 08:16:05 PDT 1998

>This support for the massacre of worker and peasant leaders by the
>bourgeoisie puts Mr. De Long on the other side of a bloody divide from
>any kind of leftist -- whether trade union militant, anarchist, Marxist
>or any combination or variant thereof. One should no more engage in
>polite discussion with him than with an admirer of Adolf Hitler. He
>should be promptly removed from this list.
>
> - In solidarity against capital,
> - Aaron

Look at the Asian Communist regimes: Pol Pot, Mao Zedong, Kim Il Sung, Ho Chi Minh. Of these, the first three are unspeakable. The best of the lot--the regime founded by Ho Chi Minh--now spends its time working as a labor boss for Nike and other western multinationals, using its secret police to guarantee them a very low-wage, docile, and obedient labor force.

I don't see in what fashion any of these regimes are "left": to kill millions of people and to replace a ruling class of landlords and merchants by a ruling class of bureaucrats does not bring us any closer to Utopia.

And I see no reason to believe that a successful PKI coup in 1965 would have produced a regime any different from the other Asian Communist regimes...

Professor J. Bradford De Long Department of Economics, #3880 University of California at Berkeley Berkeley, CA 94720-3880 (510) 643-4027; (510) 283-2709 voice (925) 642-6615; (925) 283-3897 fax