Majoritarianism

Charles Brown charlesb at CNCL.ci.detroit.mi.us
Wed May 27 13:51:49 PDT 1998

>>> Tom Condit wrote:
Majorities are generally formed *around active minorities.* To passively wait until you have 51% and *then* act is a good formula for never getting that 51%.>>>

This seems an interesting idea.

At the same time, you have to remember that the left -- all of it, all tendencies -- has more than its share of people who have a lifelong ambition of always being outcasts. They acquired it as a byproduct of teenage romantic self-pity and have never shaken it.>>>

I was thinking about something similar to this. It seems likely that movements who are trying to change society will have a higher than average proportion of people who are in some way victimized , outcast and alienated by the system. We have more stress to assuage collectively to self-organize.

Charles Brown