Why 90s were Great for Progressive Electoral Efforts

alexlocascio at juno.com alexlocascio at juno.com
Sat Nov 14 07:46:14 PST 1998

On Sat, 14 Nov 1998 17:39:35 -0500 uswatl at ibm.net writes:
>Dear Doug,
>
>There was an interesting story in the Nation a couple of weeks ago about
>southern California politics and the so-called Latino vote. One of the
people interviewed was the Republican chairman of Orange Co. a Tom Flores. The
>picture Flores painted to the Nation interviewer was of a Republican
party
>playing to the Roman Catholic tendencies of the Latino voters and at the
same
>time of seducing Latino leadership by showing them the good life. This
seems
>to be a generally developing Republican strategy nationally from what I
am
>told. The Republicans have the money to play this game.
>Sincerely,
>Tom L.

Looks like it's working, too. Just look at Jeb Bush' s recent victory in Florida. Of course, Cubans have always been heavy Republican voters, so one shouldn't really view them as representative of the Latino community as a whole. Nonetheless, having grown up in Miami (and having been born to a Cuban mother), I've noticed that while Cubans spit on other Latino groups (like Mexican migrant workers in South Dade) the rest of the year, when election time comes, they're always talking "Latino unity" type crap.

___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]