From another list

Wed Nov 18 09:09:42 PST 1998

Subject: DEATH BY DISCRIMINATION?? To: bpf-ineb at igc.org X-Sender: tedesco at uriel.net

Racism is a serious PUBLIC HEALTH issue in the U.S. ( and let us not forget the rest of the world!)

I am relaying this article from another list for BPF interest.

Frank M. Tedesco Seoul, Korea

>Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 16:13:37 -0500
>Sender: Transcultural Psychology
> <TRANSCULTURAL-PSYCHOLOGY at LISTSERV.NODAK.EDU>
>From: John C Lindsay <jclind1 at SAC.UKY.EDU>
>Subject: DEATH BY DISCRIMINATION??
>Comments: To: lcbritmedlin at webtv.net, ASearcy513 at aol.com, AWARE
> <AWARESC at LSV.UKY.EDU>, MOBILIZE <MOBILIZE at LSV.UKY.EDU>,
> DIALOG ON RACIAL ISSUES AT UK <DIALOG at LSV.UKY.EDU>,
> edspd at u.washington.edu, uwmosaic at u.washington.edu,
> "The World Institute for Learning,
> Discussing & Evaluating Race Relations"
> <WILDER-L at MAELSTROM.STJOHNS.EDU>
>To: TRANSCULTURAL-PSYCHOLOGY at LISTSERV.NODAK.EDU
>Death by Discrimination?
>
>Joe R. Feagin
>University of Florida
>
>The life expectancy for Americans who are born black is nearly seven years
>less than that for Americans born white. The evidence is increasing that much
>of this discrepancy results from the life-threatening effects of
>discrimination. Today the stress, physical illnesses, and other injuries
>associated with racism constitute a serious public health problem.
>
>"The stress does make a difference," said a black engineer in a focus group
>in a southeastern city. "I think it probably takes five years off your life,
>to tell you the truth, if you let it get to you." The major and minor slights
>of racism can accumulate to a very negative health impact.
>
>In the last two years I and my colleagues have conducted focus groups on
>discrimination's costs with African Americans in California, Michigan, and
>Florida. A common report from these African Americans is that bottling up
>stress and rage stemming from discrimination leads, from their considered
>perspective, to such health problems as stomach problems, chest pains,
>hypertension, and depression.
>
>Most black Americans with whom we talked indicated that these symptoms of
>severe stress do not happen "on weekends or after five o'clock." There was a
>consensus that much life-damaging stress comes from hostile work
environments.
>"You stuff that stuff inside, and it comes out in these kinds of ways,"
>commented a nurse in one of the southeastern groups. "That's why black women
>have a lot of fibroids. Because all of that pain gets stuffed inside." She
>added, "That's why black men . . . die so early."
>
>Severe and recurring headaches are one consequence of discrimination. "I
>would have this headache, and it would be for eight hours until I walked out
>the door and then it was like . . . a weight was lifted off," said a nurse in
>a midwestern group. "I was having severe headaches, and chest pains. . . . It
>would be times when I would almost be in the office hyperventilating,"
>commented a social services coordinator in the Southeast. "You begin to doubt
>yourself."
>
>Workplace stress contributes significantly to other serious problems. "I
> [...]
"People who usually bite the hand that feeds them usually lick the boot that kicks them." --Eric Hoffer

************************************ * Alex Chis Books * * Alex Chis & Claudette Begin * * P.O. Box 2944 * * Fremont, CA 94536 * * 510-489-8554 * * achis at igc.apc.org * * www.abebooks.com/home/ALEXCHIS/ * ************************************