Oppresseder than thou

Jim heartfield jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Fri Nov 20 02:29:19 PST 1998

In message <l03130309b279f0b233c5@[137.92.41.119]>, Rob Schaap <rws at comserver.canberra.edu.au> writes

>>The charge of anti-semitism
>>against Marx (in my view unjustified) comes about because he does indeed
>>intend the abolition of the Jewish race, in the sense of the abolition
>>of all racial differences.
>
>I'm suddenly wondering if this logic can, or should, be applied to sexual
>differences. I mean, when gender differences are defeated, we still seem
>to be left with differences, don't we?

For sure there are biological differences, just as there are differences in skin pigmentation. But they don't necessarily have to bear the social signification that they currently do. In fact, the normal transformations of the market economy have long since disproved the thesis of women's natural homeliness in the UK, where there are more women in work than men. -- Jim heartfield