Right to Chose

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Mon Nov 30 08:25:48 PST 1998

This thread is pretty much over, but I would like to take the opportunity in responding to your post to clarify my position.

My remarks went to the nature of the right to choose, not to whether there should be one. I was raising questions about an absolute right versus a conditioned one.

I tried to keep any trace of moral condemnation out of my posts. If any slipped in I regret it. I don't mean to criticize anyone for any decisions they have taken in this vein.

> 2) What are your thoughts about being 17 and pregnant?

My thought is simple. Get an abortion. A more difficult question is being 17 and about to give birth. From a distance, it's obviously easy for me to counsel someone else to do something that doesn't cost me anything. If I was the one on the spot, all I can do is hope I would have the strength of my convictions.

Since the interest in the well-being of the fetus is social, and not personal, society in the form of the state has an obligation to shoulder any responsibilities that result from restrictions it places on personal freedom.

mbs