the most common leveraged purchase

Jeffrey Levin jlevin at pacbell.net
Sun Oct 4 13:19:56 PDT 1998

I don't disagree at all with idea that a house purchase is based on both its use-value and its exchange-value. In fact, I think the dual concern with securing a desirable home while its still affordable, and hoping for it to appreciate in order to move up to an even nicer house, has lot to do with the way house prices are subject to periods of rapid inflation.

BTW, while housing prices tended to be pretty sticky downward during the post-1945 era, that seems to no longer be the case. When the 1980s California housing bubble burst in early 1990, prices fell 10 percent or more. Given the way people are leveraged into their houses, plus the high transaction costs associated with selling (7 to 10 percent when you account for real estate commissions, transfer tax, repairs prior to sale, etc), this effectively wiped out a lot of people's equity if they had only recently purchased a home. It looks like that might be a real possibility here again; there's been another rapid run up in prices in the last couple of years, but the real estate agents think the market is overvalued and are not dismissing the possibility of another drop.

Jeffrey Levin <jlevin at pacbell.net>

-----Original Message----- From: Picciotto, Sol <s.picciotto at lancaster.ac.uk> To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Date: Sunday, October 04, 1998 8:07 AM Subject: RE: the most common leveraged purchase